RE: SOI QUESTION: 3.1 DoS protection

> Notes from the chair:
>
> This next set of questions address the issues listed in section 3 of the
> soi-features I-D, "Protocol Mechanics".
>

> Please discuss and answer:
>
> 3.1 DoS protection
>
> 3.1.A) WRT DOS attacks that exhaust memory or CPU resources, is it more
> important to always keep the message count at 4, or is it
> acceptable to add
> an additional roundtrip of messages when the responder thinks he's under
> attack?

Avoid DoS attacks, whatever the cost.

In my mind, the question should be, SOI *will* provide DoS protection.  Do
we want the option of reducing the exchange from 6 messages to 4 when boxes
don't feel they are threatened by DoS attacks (add complexity to achieve
speed (via less round trips) in most cases)