Re: SOI QUESTION: 3.3 Size of messages

William Dixon has pointed out the problems of large UDP packets in IKE
(usually due to certificates) a few times.

Although this isn't quite what the question below is about, I think we
need to look at how we might handle large packets like this. I assume
this would be an issue in either protocol (IKEv2 or JFK), so this
would have to be a generalized debate.

Some (note very good) thoughts:

- Provide a URL for a certificate instead of the certificate (thus
  removing the certificate from the actual packet, making it smaller).

- Provide some SOI fragmentation mechanism, so we don't have to rely
  on IP fragmentation. Yuck. I don't even want to think about this.

jan

 --
Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847

http://www.eff.org/cafe