Re: IPsec AH and ESP I-Ds; source address as possible SA selector for multicast SA?

Annelies,
   Pardon my late response, I somehow misplaced this note.

At 05:10 PM 6/17/2002 +0200, annelies.van_moffaert@alcatel.be wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>Some time ago I posted a comment on the list regarding the new IPsec AH and
>ESP I-Ds
>  draft-ietf-ipsec-rfc2402bis-00.txt and
>  draft-ietf-ipsec-esp-v3-02.txt
>
>In these drafts it is stated that for multicast the SPI in combination with
>the destination IP address is used to select an SA. This can however lead
>to ambiguity problems for SSM SAs (SSM = Source Specific Multicast).
>
>A range of multicast IP addresses is reserved for SSM. In SSM a group is
>characterized by the pair (source IP address, destination IP address) and
>every source can freely choose a destination IP address from the SSM range.
>This means that it is possible that two different sources use the same
>group address as IP destination address.
>If the group controllers of the 2 would happen to choose the same SPI value
>then the common receivers cannot distinguish between the SAs for the 2
>different groups since they have the smae SPI and the same destination IP
>address.

Yes, I think this could be a problem.  A second potential problem that I
mentioned in my previous message is when more that one sender sends to a
single-source group.  IGMPv3 provides a mechanism to prune unauthorized
sources, but IGMPv2 might be used and the pruning may not occur because a
particular receiver did not issue the request.  In either case, the
sequence number spaces will differ between the sources and cause problems
at an unknowing reciever.

>I think a good solution would be to include also the source address in the
>SA selector for multicast SAs. This would also be very useful  to protect
>IGMP messages by means of IPsec AH.

I favor this approach but it is not consistent with RFC2401.  That's one
issue.  Another issue is whether we restrict SA's to be single-sender SAs
if we associate the source address with the SA.  In this case, the receiver
can maintain a separate replay vector for each source.  This approach won't
scale to very large groups but will work for "small" and "moderate" size
multi-sender groups.

Mark