Source address as possible SA selector for multicast SA?

Mark,

Thanks for your comments. As far as scalability is concerned. I agree that
one SA per sender doesn't scale well for groups with a very large number of
senders.  However would the alternative be not to use the anti-replay
mechanism? Or to use one SA for the whole group but within this SA a
seperate sequence number window per sender? The latter case keeps also
state per sender. So I guess it is not perfect from a scalability point of
view either and it doesn't solve a number of other issues that a seperate
SA per sender perhaps could solve.

In case the source address could (optionally) be used as SA selector this
could also be used to authenticate IGMP messages. Note that this would not
be restricted to multicast addresses in the SSM range only.
Since IGMP messages are exchanged only locally between hosts and routers on
the same subnet, it would be most logical and preferable, I think,that also
the SAs that protect these IGMP messages would be completely managed
locally. However there are IGMP messages that are sent to the group
addresses that have members on the subnet. In other words, apart from the
source of the multicast data, the IGMP routers are also `sources' of IP
packets sent to this address. Hence if the IGMP SAs are set up locally and
independently from the global owner then the same ambiguity problem as for
independent SSM sources can occur.

The latter problem is also discussed in the last update of the draft
draft-irtf-gsec-igmpv3-security-issues-02.txt
(only in version 2; this version will hopefully be soon available but I can
of course always send it to interested people.)

Kind regards,
 Annelies Van Moffaert

Mark Baugher <mbaugher@cisco.com> on 01/07/2002 19:35:03