Re: [MSEC] Re: new version of ESP ID

Annalies,

At 06:09 PM 7/2/2002 +0200, annelies.van_moffaert@alcatel.be wrote:
>Mark and Steve,
>
>I am not sure I completely understand your arguments. I would think that
>there is a difference between saying that
>1. IPsec can only be used to protect SSM or single-source multicast groups
>and
>2. When using IPsec to protect multicast traffic one should use a seperate
>SA per sender.
>
>In the second case there can be more than 1 sender allowed to send to the
>same group. Both legitimate senders and receivers should then e.g.
>authenticate to a common key server and the key server could create for
>each sender a seperate SA. Additionally the key server would push the SAs
>to the group of receivers.

I think we need to introduce the constraint that one and only
one controller or key server will establish SAs for a
given multicast address for all multicast applications,
or we would need to constrain multicast SAs to apply
to SSM only.  The latter seems to be a more robust
approach to me.  Sorry if I have not been clear about this.

So, although the correct answer to your question is #2,
#1 ensures that we won't have an SPI collision in the
absence of a single controller per multicast group.  It's
true that a collision of SPIs is unlikely _if they are
random_, but the SPI is not required to be random.  Besides
that, I think we want to avoid even unlikely failures.

>A concrete example could be hosts that all send IGMP messages to the group
>address to which all IGMP capable routers listen  or PIM routers that all
>send PIM messages to the PIM group address. It could also be a multicast
>data service with more than one legitimate source (all sources should then
>probably be under the control of a single key server).
>
>Do you have scenario 1 in mind or scenario 2 or again something else?
>

>A second question I have relates to the statement that "the receiver SHALL
>check the source address to ensure that it is from the authorized sender".
>Isn't this a weak check given that a source address can be spoofed by a
>receiver who wants to impersonate the sender?

Yes, but this is always true since we use an HMAC for message
authentication in IPsec rather than a digital signature.  We
must assume that group members are trusted not to impersonate
one another.  Otherwise IPsec message authentication is not
secure.  The sender check by the receiver protects the receiver
from cases where some member is not impersonating an
authorized sender, e.g. in a faulty implementation.

Mark