Re: SOI QUESTION: 4.2 Creating multiple SAs for a single pair of entities

> 4.2 Creating multiple SAs for a single pair of entities
>
> 4.2.A) How important is it that SOI be able to create multiple SA's
> between a pair of entities "cheaply"?

QoS may require several SAs between a pair of entities. This would lead
to a great usr of SA, most of which would be set up as a bundle by softwares,
that is, as an instance, when the OS boots or when the PPP link is up, etc.
Initiation of several phase 1 is out of question. Multiple phase 2
exponentiations will be expensive. Thus a cheap way for building multiple SAs
is desirable.

Anyway, if this feature is available, we can be sure it will be used.

> 4.2.B) How often will usage scenarios of SOI need to generate multiple
> SA's between a single pair of entites?

It is difficult to know at the moment.

Secure Remote Access scenarios will have to play it often.

VPNs gateways could do it on reboot, but they are more likely to follow the
classical 'expensive' way.

End To End may have often/sometimes a need for it also. Endpoints tend to
switch on and off all the time, and it may be usefull to set up multiple SAs
quickly, ex for a soft which does visio and file transfert and will need
differents crypto parameters for each. Many applications need multiple
channels for differents purposes, cheap SAs building should be relevant for
them.

--
Jean-Jacques Puig