Re: SOI QUESTIONS: 5.1-5.2

    >> I don't find this acceptable.
    >> 1) in order to avoid permitting users to shoot themselves
    >> in the foot, some
    >> GUI will have to *restrict* them to those ciphersuites.

    Andrew> The nice thing about GUI ciphersuites is that you could choose to implement
    Andrew> only the 2 MUST IMPLEMENT combinations and nothing else, and you would be
    Andrew> interoperable with everyone else, but other people could still implement the
    Andrew> feature however they want. (Unless the aim of ciphersuites is to cripple
    Andrew> everyone's implementation equally so that yours doesn't stand out for not
    Andrew> giving the user the choice.) Part of the purpose of GUI

  Then how do you test all the code?

    >> 2) Given the above, how do I test all combinations?
    >>
    >> Talk to your testing people on this.  Let them make the decision.

    Andrew> Our testers have a script for generating and negotiating every possible
    Andrew> combination of algorithms. Personally, I don't think black box testing of
    Andrew> this sort is very useful.

  I do. Particularly when certain *combinations* are accelerated by
hardware. You have to make sure that you only use the hardware at the right
times, and in the right modes.
  I have that script as well. I think that it is excessive featurism.

    Andrew> Way back in the 80s (or perhaps even the 70s), someone invented the idea of
    Andrew> modularity. Modularity makes testing every possible combination a luxury,
    Andrew> rather than a necessity. The crypto code is first tested with known answer
    Andrew> tests. Then the packet transform code is tested with the assumption that the
    Andrew> crypto code works (perhaps using manual keying). Since the crypto is a black
    Andrew> box, what you are testing is code that allocates buffers and moves memory

  It is a nice theory. It works a lot of the time.
  It also fails to catch interactions among different pieces of the system.

  *UNTIL* someone tries to optimize things. Or the GUI people are told my
marketing to enable to FOO,BAR,BUMBLE combination because they need it for a
demo, and none of *them* realize that this combination has never been tested.

  One might optimize because of code size (remember those PDA/phone people)
from a generic base.

  The theory people also say that suites are a *LOT* easier to analyze.

  The hardware people like suites, because it makes their hardware simpler
and provides them a better picture of what needs to be implemented. Remember
that testing of the VHDL/Verilog has to be done TOO.