Re: SOI QUESTION: 6. Wire protocol issues: Message Encoding

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> Please discuss and answer the following question:
>

> 6. Wire protocol issues
>
> 6.1 Message encoding
>
> 6.1.A) Should SOI worry about aligning parts of messages on 2 and 4
> byte boundaries?

Yes.

> 6.1.B)  Should SOI tag its protocol with version numbers?

Of course (duh).

> 6.1.C) Should SOI format be roughly the same as IKEv1?  (See
> discussion in section 6.4, re: code preserving)

Sure. It's not going to be cut-n-paste programming, but the closer the
format, the better we can leverage what we already KNOW of IKE and how
to implement it.

jan

 --
Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847

http://www.eff.org/cafe