Re: SOI QUESTION: 6.5 Extensibility of the protocols

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> Please discuss and answer the following question (last one!):
>

> 6.5 Extensibility of the protocols
>
> 6.5.A) Should SOI have mechanisms for allowing extensions to the SOI
> protocol?

Absolutely. Yes. Being able to prototype and roll out non-standard
extension is how progress is made. Xauth and config-mode break that
rule, of course (because they break interoperability). We wouldn't be
able to talk about keepalives without having rolled it out as an
extension, for example.

That being said, there needs to be a better way than the vendor ID (I
prefer radius' mechanism (attribute 26 Vendor Specific in rfc 2138); I
can dig out my proposal to do such a mechanism in IKE if people are
interested).

> 6.5.B) Should SOI need a way to mark new extensions as critical?
> (i.e. If you don't understand a critical extension you must fail the
> entire negotiation)

Sounds good to me. I'm not a strong advocate of the critical bit, but
I can see its value.

jan

 --
Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847

http://www.eff.org/cafe