RE: Vendor Extensions

RE: Vendor Extensions Hi Paul, I took the minutes of the IPsec WG meeting and = Steve's comment was "specific" vendor extensions. In = other words, if an implementation required the use of Acme company = extension RG v.02 to make the protocol function properly, this would be = considered "inappropriate". That's how I heard and = interpreted his comment. Steve was very sure of his remarks as he = quickly went to the microphone when the comment about vendor extensions = was mentioned. Regards, Dennis Beard -----Original Message----- From: Paul Hoffman / VPNC [<3d.htm>mailto:paul.hoffman@vpnc.org]<= /FONT> Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 1:48 PM To: Charlie_Kaufman@notesdev.ibm.com; = ipsec@lists.tislabs.com Cc: Steve Bellovin; jis@mit.edu Subject: Re: Vendor Extensions At 11:44 AM -0400 7/23/02, = Charlie_Kaufman@notesdev.ibm.com wrote: > > Steve Bellovin, Security Area = Director, strongly commented that any >drafts >> that contained specific vendor = extensions would cause the IESG to be >> concerned and may even cause it to be = rejected. He states this in his > > capacity of Area Director, not as a = co-author of the JFK draft. > >Could we get clarification of IESG policy on = vendor extensions and also >feedback from the working group on their = usefulness? Did Steve say "vendor extensions" or = "specific vendor extensions"? Clarification would be helpful here. >1) Is anyone using the field in IKEv1? If you do packet dumps while watching many IPsec = systems interoperate, you will see that many (possibly most) = vendors use them in IKEv1. --Paul Hoffman, Director --VPN Consortium