RE: Two AES encryption modes?

> Manual keying does NOT, I repeat NOT mean identical IVs.  The two
> implementations I worked on (NRL, Solaris) use random (for "random" ==
> /dev/urandom strength) IVs regardless of how IPsec SAs are derived.

I agree that fear of IV reuse is not a good enough to ban counter mode with
manual keying. Manual keying, after all, does not mean that you never rekey;
you may have multiple pre-installed SAs and you switch over after a fixed
byte count. This implies that you need to keep a rough estimate of the byte
count in non-volatile storage, so it should be always possible to calculate
a unique counter value. Therefore, using random IVs would seem to be
unnecessary.

Andrew
There are no rules, only regulations. Luckily,
history has shown that with time, hard work,
and lots of love, anyone can be a technocrat.