RE: Two AES encryption modes?

> >The real
> problem in terms of
> > bandwidth consumption was permutation explosion, which has
> also been solved
> > in IKEv2.
>
> Unless I've missed something, the use of suites rather than individual
> combinations of transforms -- which is precisely what we are
> debating --
> is how that was solved.  The problem with transforms is not
> that they are
> individually bulky, but that they come in swarms, not one at a time.

I guess you did miss something. The permutation explosion was solved in
IKEv2 by making the encoding more compact. Instead of:

IKEv1: (3DES and SHA) or (3DES and MD5) or (AES and SHA) or (AES and MD5)

you now have:

IKEv2: (3DES or AES) and (SHA or MD5)

whereas with assigned ciphersuites you would have:

xxx: 3DES_SHA or 3DES_MD5 or AES_SHA or AES_MD5

Add an optional IPCOMP and it gets worse.

Andrew
There are no rules, only regulations. Luckily,
history has shown that with time, hard work,
and lots of love, anyone can be a technocrat.