From: Paul Hoffman / VPNC [mailto:paul.hoffman@vpnc.org]
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 8:42 AM
To: Brian Swander; ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
Subject: Re: Clarification of potential NAT multiple client solutions

Thank you for the quite useful list of alternatives. And thank you
for listing the believed IPR issues for them. This makes things much
clearer to implementers.

At 4:01 PM -0700 7/29/02, Brian Swander wrote:
>As this isn't a wire protocol matter, but a local implementation
>matter, specification of the mechanisms do not belong in the draft
>itself.

Now that I have seen the list, I would disagree. That section of the
current document feels like a bit of hand-waving, and having this
list there (or at least in an appendix) would clear up some of that.
This is particularly important because when a user cannot set up an
SA, the UI will probably give some reasoning that will likely be
different between different vendors because they chose different
strategies. Having this material available to all implementers in the
eventual standard would be valuable.

And, yes, you should keep in the IPR stuff, at least to mark the
items for which IPR notices have been registered with the IETF. You
don't have to say who or what, simply "An IPR notice for this options
has been received by the IETF".

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium