CERT REQ payload Handling Clarification

Hi ,
     Please clarify the following Issue for CERT REQ payload Handling :

      As the encoding of a CA 's  DN  into the CERT_REQ payload
is done using BER ,one should be able to encode it using DER only
(as DER is subset of BER). And the other end's BER decoding  software
should be able to decode the DER encoding.
     For decoding , we cannot assume that the other end with always
encode the CA's DN in DER only. He can encode using the other
two BER encoding method , in which case we should be able to
decode any of the 3 encoding method for BER, including DER.

Thanks in advance,

       Suresh