RE: draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-aes-ctr-00.txt

Russ,

Agreed.

> Therefore, I think
> that it is worth a few extra bits of overhead to make sure that the
> per-packet value is managed inside the security boundary.
>
> Russ

But why not make the per-packet value that's managed within the security
boundary be the sequence number?  If an LFSR is used to generate explicit
IVs, then it will need to be generated and managed within the security
boundary.  An LFSR is no easier to manage than an integer, since both types
share the same properties w.r.t. the storage and movement of data.  If the
ESP sequence number is generated within the security boundary, it can be
used to provide secure anti-replay protection as well as secure per-packet
values for counter mode.

David