RE: Clarification of potential NAT multiple client solutions

These are very vague statements!

You still have not answered my question! What application do you have in
mind?

> But isn't this problem magnified here?  The attacker here
> needs much less knowledge to mount an attack; it simply
> suffices to forge packets with suitable addresses and any
> bogus SPI, right?  The attacker doesn't need the capability
> to modify packets in flight, just being able to inject new
> packets is enough?
>
> If I understood your description correctly, the DoS problem
> (blocking new SAs from being formed) and the bogus SPI
> problem are quite serious.  The problems are different and
> less severe with NAT-T.

The origin of the problem is identical, and it is the NAT. In one case
you have to send a packet a random SPI within a very short time interval
and in the other case you can send a packet with spoofed source address
_anytime_, but that packet must be based on a real packet. You can argue
all you want as to which one is better/worse. The fact that attack can
be launched anytime in case of NAT-T, makes it much worse in my opinion.

Regards,
Jayant
www.trlokom.com