Re: draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-aes-ctr-00.txt

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Michael Richardson wrote:

>     Jan> I'm not so sure. SRTP and IPsec live in completely different domains,
>     Jan> and voice over IPsec is still necessary, where a tunnel is
>     Jan> necessary. SRTP does not tunnel. For example, you may already have an
>
>   We are regularly doing 6 party VoIP (h.323, alas) conference calls over
> IPsec. There is an H.323 bridge (openmcu) on a box that does both the VoIP
> and IPsec. There is 3Mb/s in, 800kb/s out at the concentrator, and a range of
> 1M modem, T1, cable and ADSL at the other ends. Starting a download at the
> same time, can hurt.
>
>   It isn't perfect, but most of this is due to the fact that we are not yet
> able to negotiate proper SLAs for the data with our ISPs.
>
>   We have not yet enabled any IPcomp, mostly because of laziness, and also
> because we are doing this over Opportunistic Encryption, which does not
> negotiate IPcomp by default.
>

>From what I've seen, IPcomp wouldn't help voip much. Most codecs are
already compressed. On an internal alpha-test network we run (to our
cisco telecommuters ;) we (the administrators for said alpha network)
tried IPcomp once and it seemed to make voice quality worse. I suppose
that's anecdotal evidence, not hard evidence, but there it is.

jan

 --
Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847

http://www.eff.org/cafe