RE: Son of Ike status

> > An initial
> > modification to the document will be to integrate ideas from
> > JFK's approach
> > of using 4 messages with a stateless cookie.
>
> This is going to give us half-encrypted/half-plaintext messages, right?

Yes. That is an unfortunate cost.

My plan was to say that messages could be half-encrypted/half-plaintext
where the first half would always be plaintext and the second half
encrypted and integrity protected. The encryption syntax would be the same
as before but would start not immediately after the header but rather
at the beginning of a particular playload type - that payload being
whatever
happened to appear first in the part of the message we wanted to encrypt.

I was planning to say that only message 3 in the exchange could be so
encoded... other messages had to be all cleartext or all plain.

There are other possibilities. This was the one I thought would be simplest
to implement. I am open to other suggestions.

          --Charlie

This footnote confirms that either (1) this email message has been swept by
Baltimore MIMEsweeper for Content Security threats, including computer
viruses, (2) this email message was sent by a virus that appends this
footnote, or (3) (most likely) the sender of this message is trying to
raise awareness of how foolish it would be to place any confidence in
footnotes like this.