Re: draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-aes-ctr-00.txt

At 04:08 PM 8/6/2002 -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:
>  Anyone who *needs* AES-CTR mode, likely needs it because they have >1Gb/s
>links they want to secure. As such, I think that they have the bandwidth not
>to care.

Micahael,

Are you implying that AES-CTR on a modern Intel CPU can handle more than
1 Gb/s Ethernet?  Is this because the IV stays in L1 cache?  Right now my
direct measurements using AES-ECB (Dr. Gladman's C implementation) indicates
that for all practical purposes, even Fast Ethernet (100 Mb/s) is still out
of reach of a typical host computer.

- Alex
--

Alex Alten