Re: draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-aes-ctr-00.txt

At 03:23 PM 8/24/2002 -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:

>    >> Anyone who *needs* AES-CTR mode, likely needs it because they have
>    >> >1Gb/s links they want to secure. As such, I think that they have the
>    >> bandwidth not to care.
>
>    Alex> Micahael,
>
>    Alex> Are you implying that AES-CTR on a modern Intel CPU can handle more
>    Alex> than 1 Gb/s Ethernet?  Is this because the IV stays in L1 cache?
>
>  I'm not making any claim about hardware or software implementations.
>My understanding is that AES-CTR mode is implemented more cheaply
>than AES-CBC mode. Whether this is hardware or software is simply a question
>of what year it is.

This is a flippant answer.

What year it is also determines the expected data rate that most PCs use.
This
year it is still 100 Mbps.  In a 3-5 years it will be 1 Gbps.  Therefore it
is
always the year of hardware, never of software.  And, ipso facto, only 1/1000
of the installed base of PCs will use AES with IPsec.  But hey, at least it
pays
the bills of a Canadian who doesn't give a damn about the costs incurred by
the
tens of thousands of financially hurting firms with over 100+ million PCs
attached
to the Internet.

- Alex

--