Re: hardware vs software (was Re: draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-aes-ctr-00.txt)

Alex,

I agree that software would be hard pressed to keep up with very high
speed LANs, but it is also fair to note that not all traffic merits
IPsec protection. For example, I would expect to use S/MIME for
e-mail, not bother securing NNTP, and most folks will continue to use
SSL for web traffic. Also, workstations are not always transmitting
or receiving packets, so the percentage of a CPU devoted to crypto
needs to be tempered by that observation as well.

Steve