Re: Avoiding tricking IKE v2 nodes into talking v1

 Jan> On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Paul Koning wrote:
 >> But vendor ID payloads don't announce any protocol action, they
 >> only set a namespace for subsequent private payloads.  You can
 >> only have one at a time

 Jan> Where does it say this? I see no reason why you couldn't have 15
 Jan> vendor-id payloads in message 5 or 6 (or anywhere else for that
 Jan> matter).

 Jan> Also, I don't see why a vendor-id is narrowly defined as "set a
 Jan> namespace for subsequent private payloads" (unless I missed a
 Jan> section in the IKE spec). I see them as announcing any
 Jan> capability you like, with or without additional private
 Jan> payloads.

Ok, that's what I get for relying on memory rather than re-reading the
words line by line... :-(

Yes, it does say you can have more than one.  When you do that, it
isn't clear to me which namespace then applies to the private payload
numbers.  (The one immediately preceding it in the bytestream???)

The spec does say that the payload announces an instance of an
implementation, which isn't the same thing as announcing a request for
a feature or action.  But I suppose it's reasonable enough to stretch
it that far.

   paul