RE: Last ditch proposal for crypto suites

There is another option, specify suites only for the IPSEC negotiation
mechanism and leave a-la-carte to out of band negotiation.

My experience with HTTP is that attempts to do in band negotiation over
unrestricted sets fails miserably in the non-security context. Trying to do
this and manage the threat of a downgrade attack is going to be worse.

Are there real end users who want a la carte? Obviously the hoardes of
itinerant cryptographers hawking their scheme of the week are going to be in
favor of a mechanism that supports their scheme, but end users?

My experience is that there is almost no variation in the cryptosuites in
actual use: 3DES, SHA-1, RSA, HMAC. Obviously we anticipate the emergence of
AES but I doubt that that will end up doing more than add an extra couple
of options.

One option and a pretty good one in my view is to say that if someone wants
to have unlimited flexibility then they can negotiate it through IKEv1. In
fact they can implement the full ISAKMP framework and negotiate the
mechanism by which the negotiate the negotiation of the mechanism for
negotiation of the algorithms to be selected for the cryptosuites to be used
in negotiation.

Let us never forget that the point of IKE2 is that we want to drain the damn
swamp.

Another option that would allow support for the itinerant cryptographic
community would be to push the definition of the cryptosuites into the PKI.
For example an OID in a certificate, descriptor record in the DNS, XKMS
property etc.

		Phill