RE: Last ditch proposal for crypto suites

RE: Last ditch proposal for crypto suites Hello, I agree with Charlie's proposal (below) as = written. I think this is the simplest way to go and maintains the = essences of compactness of the SA pay load part of the protocol as = pointed out earlier by L. Dondeti. Too many options makes the = protocol complicated and difficult to implement. At most, the = suite should have no more than 2 algorithm capabilities that can = operate in symmetric or asymmetric conditions - light weight w/ minimum = footprint, and robust such as AES (Marc Desoriers). Steve = Bellovin makes a good point about interoperability. To the extent = that IKEv2 specifies a very tight set of suites and their attributes, = the more interoperability we will achieve because choice is finitely = contained. We are the Standards organization so we should specify = and let the world follow. This is what Charlie wrote: "I propose that we define a new Protocol-ID that = means crypto suite, and that for that value the SPI Size and # of = Transforms are replaced with a two byte suite number. The suite number = would define the actual Protocol-ID, SPI Size, # of Transforms, and all = of the Transforms and their attributes. The entire proposal would be 8 = bytes for an IKE proposal, 12 bytes for an ESP or AH proposal = (including 4 byte SPI), and 14 bytes for an ESP w/IPcomp proposal (including 4 byte ESP SPI and 2 byte IPcomp = SPI)." No hybrid please - unless it's corn. Cheers, Dennis Beard -----Original Message----- From: Steven M. Bellovin [<3d.htm>mailto:smb@research.att.com] Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2002 11:44 AM To: Charlie_Kaufman@notesdev.ibm.com Cc: ipsec@lists.tislabs.com Subject: Re: Last ditch proposal for crypto suites In message = <OF710D18BE.04BE38CA-ON85256C24.000F505D-85256C24.001239FC@iris.com> , Charlie_Kaufman@notesdev.ibm.com writes: > > > > >The discussion of crypto suites vs. ala carte = algorithm negotiation in >IKEv2 was frustrating. I think most people like = suites better (in the >possibly unrealistic belief that we can keep the = number of suites >manageably small), but the advocates for ala = carte negotiation were >more adament about its necessity. You know my opinion -- scrap a la carte. But = let me ask the question differently: Paul Hoffman, in your = interoperability tests do you see many different combinations actually used? Or = don't your tests go there? As for the specific suggestion -- I think I'd rather = keep a la carte, rather than the hybrid suggestion. I fear the = complexity, not just of having both sets of code, but also of being able to = cope correctly with an offer or a response that specified one a la carte = entry *and* one suite. I think the potential for bugs there is = high. But if we want to go there, we need to specify precisely how to = deal with the situation. In particular, we need to specify = the rules on how to decide which to accept, and what to do if there is = an apparent conflict in a response. = --Steve = Bellovin, <3d.htm>http://www.research.att.com/~smb (me) = <3d.htm>http://www.wilyhacker.com ("Firewalls" = book)