RE: Last ditch proposal for crypto suites

I know SHA-2 is a bit new, but I think it is worth it for the following
good reasons.

1. It's better to just have one hash in the suite for all uses.  As a
   rule of thumb I always try to select a hash with twice the bits of the
   corresponding block cipher, mainly because of because of the square root
   attack (birthday attack).  So AES-128 should use SHA2-256.

2. SHA-2 is scalable, with different hash lengths available (256, 384, 512),
   which compliment AES key lengths nicely.  Assuming SHA-2 holds up
   then this will give us a simple implementation path to be forward
   compatible without issuing a new RFC for a new flavor-of-the-year hash.

- Alex

--

Alex Alten
Alten@ATTBI.com