Re: Last ditch proposal for crypto suites

I'm wondering whether a hybrid approach would be reasonable:

1) Define suites for ciphers+mac (i.e. 3des-sha1, aes-sha2 whatever).
1') Tie phase 1 and phase 2 suites together, i.e. a suite applies to
both (drawback: You now can't negotiate des for phase 1 and 3des for
phase 2; seems there are those that want this).
2) define a separate 'thing' for the phase 1 authentication.
3) Not sure where to put compression...

So you would propose:

suite A (3des-sha1)
authentication pre-shared

or

suite A (3des-sha1)
rsa

This may prevent some of the combinatorial explosion of having
3des-sha-pre-share and 3des-sha-rsa and 3des-sha-dsa, and instead you
only have pre-share and 3des-sha as separate entities.

*donning flame proof bathrobe, which I'm sure arthur dent would have
 loved to have*

jan

P.S. I guess this really boils down to having three sets of
parameters:

1) joint phase 1 and phase 2 cipher suite
2) phase 1 ONLY settings (authentication... anything else?)
3) phase 2 ONLY settings (above and beyind ciphers, i.e. compression?
Anything else?)

 --
Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847

http://www.eff.org/cafe