RE: It's all over (except for the screaming & shouting).

>From what I have observed in a client 2K or XP, when one creates a new VPN
connection, the default network protocol is "Automatic" which works for
either PPTP or L2TP/IPsec. Unless one overrides that in the client to
specifically pick one or the other, which one is actually negotiated will
depend on the server one is dialing into. So I am not sure what you mean by
"the OS default is PPTP with 40b DES". Could you please clarify.

Claudio.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Alten [mailto:Alten@attbi.com]
Sent: Friday, September 06, 2002 5:13 AM
To: ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
Subject: It's all over (except for the screaming & shouting).

The market has finally spoken.  IPsec has lost the VPN race.

Recently I talked with an number of very senior level people in the
IT trenchs. A lot of PC upgrades to XP & Win2K were done to get VPN
capability.  The OS default is PPTP with 40b DES (MPPE). Not L2TP
w/IPsec.  I bet many Cisco folks are upset.

IPsec will probably hang on in specialized niches like net to net
VPNs, etc.

What a humbling result.

- Alex
--