Re: security policy discovery

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-richardson-ipsec-opportunistic-10.txt

> Both of these things *could* be done in a way that
> follows the spec; it's just that the spec doesn't say
> how.
>
> > Alice sends a packet to Bob for the first time. It is not
> > an IKE, JKF packet. It is the actual packet of a session
> > (e.g. TCP SYN).
> >
> > Bob doesn't want to communicate unless a security
> > association is established.
> >
> I believe that the IPsec architecture does not
> envision this configuration. I believe it assumes
> that the initiator decides whether a protected
> channel should be established. In this case, Bob
> would drop the packet. If Alice is capable of speaking
> ESP if Bob wants to do so, Alice should attempt it
> before sending the first packet.
>
> One could imagine, however, Bob seeing the unprotected
> packet and letting that trigger an IKE SA setup. The
> initial TCP SYN would be dropped, but if it was still
> being retried when the ESP SA comes up, Alice would send
> one of the retried packets inside the ESP SA and the
> conversation would ensue. Alternately, one could
> imagine Bob passing on a limited class of packets (like
> TCP SYN) and letting the response packet trigger the
> setup of the ESP SA.
>
> > What happens in this case? Bob replies with IKE/JFK?
> > Or Alice detects Bob's security policy before attempting
> > to communicate?
>
> I believe there is no defined security policy
> discovery protocol.

Ages ago, IPSP defined SPP (which I've yet to read):
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsp-spp-01.txt

Scott Fluhrer recently (salt lake city? minneapolis?) presented TED
(Tunnel Endpoint Discovery). Sadly, that draft is now expired. I've
been thinking of adding some stuff and resubmitting this, if there's
sufficient interest. When we presented this, quite a few people seemed
interest. But, as seems normal for IPSP, things petered out and were
never heard from again... SPP was resubmitted as a result of Scott
presenting TED.

jan

 --
Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847

http://www.eff.org/cafe