RE: Merging IKEv2 and JFKr?

Some replies to the entire discussion of last week (not just Jan's message):

I acknowledge the need for some compromise. But I do agree with Charlie's
earlier observation that any IKEv2-JFKr will probably be inferior (IMHO) to
the original IKEv2 draft. It was too long in coming, but the IKEv2 draft
really did represent the logical clarification and evolution of IKE. It is
neither unrealistic (what I like to call "simplicity by omission"), nor
politically motivated, nor unnecessarily innovative. So as far as I'm
concerned, any merging of the drafts is going to be more of a "minimize the
damage" type of operation than a "best of both worlds" scenario.

Like Jan said, extensibility is the number 1 concern about any such
Frankenstein/chimera. From our earlier survey, I concluded that there is a
rough consensus (at least among implementers) that extensibility is a good
thing. In my experience, extensibility doesn't just pay off in the long run;
to some extent it pays off now. We don't all live in a fantasy world where
we can wait until a draft reaches Internet Standard status before we start
shipping. Many of us find ourselves constantly chasing a moving target.
Obviously you can't anticipate everything, but failure to account for future
development results in some really ugly kludges... the Internet is full of
them.

BTW, whatever became of the SOI discussion summary that Barbara promised to
post a couple of months ago? It was supposed to summarize the popular
opinion on each issue, confirm the requirements, and influence the design
direction.

In regard to a few other issues that have been brought up recently:

Speaking as someone who successfully implemented the revised hash, I don't
particularly want to go back to the old way of doing it. There are many ways
to handle incoming IKE messages, but for those of us who do most of our IKE
processing on pre-parsed packets it is much easier to sign/hash an arbitrary
blob of data than to assemble the buffer piecemeal.

The half-encrypted message idea doesn't particularly appeal to me, but I
won't claim that we can't handle it. The protocol doesn't rely on encryption
for security, so there's no real danger of this modification introducing
security holes.

I'm really not a big fan of the "repeat payloads from message 1 in message
3" idea. People complained about IKE being too complicated because you need
code to parse every payload twice (once for main mode and once for
aggressive), but this strategy has leads to the same result (plus
fragmentation, bandwidth wastage, etc).

I also endorse the "URL to a cert" suggestion.

I will deal with the 4 vs 6/4 issue in a separate message, since Radia
branched off a new thread.

Andrew
There are no rules, only regulations. Luckily,
history has shown that with time, hard work,
and lots of love, anyone can be a technocrat.