RE: Protocol and port fields in selectors

Joe Touch wrote:
>What happens if/when those ports are used by a new transport protocol,
>e.g, for an application of which you are not aware?

You are rigth, it does not work. The assumption is that the
same ports will be used for the new transport protocol.

>>>At best, though, it seems like this cuts the database down
>by a factor
>>>of 2; is there that much utility to such an optimization?
>>
>> That is actually the whole idea; to reduce the number of SAs. Since
>> we are talking about several hundred thousands of SAs,
>cutting the size
>> in half reduces the memory requirements (a lot) and improves
>performance.
>
>That's purely an implementation detail. It seems sufficient in
>this case
>to implement it as an extra bit that says "TCP and UDP",
>rather than to
>leave it as a completely open wildcard.

Yes, I'll buy that one! I was actually thinking it myself, but
the selector fields (in general) do not have this kind of AND/OR
capabilties. But one can easily add that.

>Joe

-sakari