Re: ISAKMP-SA & Security Policy

Hi,

>>What I understood is, For ISAKMP-SA, SPD will not be created. I mean to
say, we will not run 'ipsecconf ' to let the IP stack know about
>>ISAKMP-SPI details

    Yes, for ISAKMP-SA SPD is not required. Phase I just negotiates
the ISAKMP-SA parameters and maintains a  Phase I sa list.

>>The Phase-I exachanges will be protected based on the session key created
after the key exchange. This is unlike in IPSec SPI, where an SPD >>will be
created after Phase-II exchange with 2 SPIs ?. Am I right ?.
    The SPD is not created after Phase-II. It's created initially . In fact
the SPD, based on it's selectors indicates to IKE to start negotiating a New
PHASE 1 with the designated peer , if the PHASE 1 for the peer is not yet
established.
    The SPD consists of policies based on selectors like Source IP address,
Destination IP address, Source port, Dest. port, IP address Range, Transport
Protocols etc. In the user/kernel  OS  , the SPD is in the kernel.

Cheers !