RE: Suites vs a-la-carte

> Sure we can; we just can't agree to the limited number of numbers
> that we would encode.

I agree with this. One of the reasons I have endorsed GUI suites all along
is that I felt we would be much more likely to get consensus on the base
suites if it were easy to create your own private suites.

Let's say that some company (let's call them IPsecCorp) decides they don't
like the default suite and they want to roll their own. Of course they still
have the mandatory to implement suite, but the default configuration uses
the suite "IPsecCorp2002". If IPsecCorp is the market leader then everyone
is going to want to be compatible with them out of the box. In the
configuration GUI, they will want a droplist of suites where one of the
options is IPsecCorp2002.

If IPsecCorp2002 is using a private ciphersuite number, I would have to go
and figure out what this number is. Then I would probably also have to spoof
their vendor id, which might have unintended consequences. Alternatively, we
could try to create an IANA registry for private ciphersuites. But IANA
would probably deny this request (if I'm not mistaken, they denied a similar
request from the TLS WG). If this was a GUI ciphersuite then there would be
no problem.

Andrew
The odd thing about fairness is when
we strive so hard to be equitable