RE: SPD policy document/article

We have made use of the IPSP policy model but we have not maintained our
implementation in lock step with the draft revisions.  Implementing the MIB
is a possibility for us but it would have to be a customer driven
requirement because we are using a proprietary Web interface to manage our
device.  We are moving toward integration with third party network
management products using an XML implementation of the model.
We used the IPSP policy model in the following fashion:
1)	We created a proprietary XML schema based on the model.
2)	Implemented a set of runtime CPP classes that implement the model
3)	These classes are instantiated at runtime via parsing of an XML file
using Xerces.
4)	This instantiated policy model is then used for all modifications to
IPSec policy within our device.
5)	Changes to the model are saved to XML files.
6)	The runtime instantiated policy is used to populate runtime SPD and
initialize the IKE runtime library.
7)	We also implemented serialization of the model instance for remote
procedure calls via TCP sockets.

BTW, I agree with Ricky.  This model did give us a more concrete way of
dealing with IPSec policies. Mapping this model to our 2401 compliant SPD
implementation was straight forward (well more like painful but doable).
I'm guessing that the model was very useful for MIB/PIB writers.
Our goal in choosing this path was to try to at least give ourselves a
chance at being standards based if this group successfully produced RFC
documents.  If there is market demand for implementing the IPSP MIB, it
should be doable for us because are management is based on the model.  If
there is any interest in the working group for standardizing the XML schema
I would like to hear about it.  I can here the groans now.  "Why didn't you
just use the MIB?"  We had are reasons, I'm still convinced we made the
right choice but time will tell.  We do include an SNMP agent and trap
generation in our product, just not SNMP device configuration.
Can anyone name a single network management platform that uses a standard
SNMP MIB for configuration management that works across multiple vendors?
If so, what was the effort level required between the device and NM platform
vendor to actually get it to work.  If you are going to write device
specific/vendor specific code for configuration management, my personal
opinion is that SNMP is a very ineffective protocol to accomplish the task.