Draft minutes from the WG meeting

Greetings. Below are the draft minutes of the IPsec WG meeting last
week in Atlanta. If you were at the meeting and spoke, please review
them and send any corrections to me. I will change these draft
minutes into a final version to be sent to the IETF Secretariat for
inclusion in the official minutes of the meeting.

If you read somthing here that you want to discuss on the mailing
list, please change the subject line to indicate the specific topic
you want to talk about. Thanks!

----------

Minutes for IPsec WG
November 18, 2002

Agenda was considered and accepted

ID Status
	AES Related Drafts
		draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-aes-xcbc-mac-02.txt
			in IESG wait (AD writeup)
		draft-ietf-ike-modp-groups-04.txt
			in IESG wait (AD writeup)
		draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-sha-256-01.txt
			not going to be advanced
		draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-aes-cbc-04.txt
			submitted for IETF last call
	Extended sequence number docs
		draft-ietf-ipsec-esp-v3-03.txt
			ready for wg last call (one last round of
editing by authors)
		draft-ietf-ipsec-rfc2402bis-01.txt
			ready for wg last call (one last round of
editing by authors)
		draft-ietf-ipsec-esn-addendum-00.tx
			ready for wg last call
	NAT Traversal docs
		draft-ietf-ipsec-udp-encaps-04.txt
			ready for IETF last call for proposed standard
		draft-ietf-ipsec-nat-t-ike-04.txt
			ready for IETF last call for proposed standard
		draft-ietf-ipsec-udp-encaps-justification-01.txt
			ready for IETF last call for informational RFC
	MIB docs
		Discussion has been non-existent since November.
			Plan to forward all of them to WG last call
		draft-ietf-ipsec-doi-tc-mib-06.txt
		draft-ietf-ipsec-flow-monitoring-mib-02.txt
		draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-monitor-mib-04.txt
		draft-ietf-ipsec-isakmp-di-mon-mib-05.txt
		draft-ietf-ipsec-monitor-mib-06.txt
	Others
		draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-ecc-groups-04.txt
			Moribund; no WG interest
		draft-ietf-ipsec-sctp-04.txt
			Proposed standard
			IESG wait (point raised by some AD; awaiting writeup)
	DPD draft - to WG last call soon
	IPsec properties - prepared to help with SOI
		Needs more work to be publishable
		Andrew wants to do work
		Ted and Barb view as a distraction

VoIP Security Requirements - Eric Nielsen
	draft-jacobs-signaling-security-requirements
	VoIP is really across many protocols
	How can they leverage IPsec as the underlying security mechanism?
	Describes the view of a consumer of IPsec
	Please review it

SIGMA paper announcement - Hugo Krawczyk
	New paper was published
	http://www.ee.technion.ac.il/~hugo/sigma.ps
	Gives the crypto rationale for IKEv1 signature modes and IKEv2
		cryptographic key exchange.
	Covered ancient history (1995-1996) regarding the development of
		SIGMA and its inclusion in IKE
		signer (the MAC is essential for the key exchange security!).
	This paper is informal and intended to a broad audience of
		designers and practitioners. A formal mathematical analysis was
		done in a paper with Ran Canetti presented at Crypto'2002.

PKI profile draft - Brian Korver
	Profile PKIX for IKE
	Compliments IKE
	-00 and -01 were straw proposals
	Types of issues
		CRL processing
		Empty CERTREQ
		Using ID payload for policy
		Which fields in the cert should be used as ID
		Out of band exchange of keying material
	Want comments for -02
	Gregory Lebovitz - Project DPloy earlier this year did
		much of the requirements
	Paul Hoffman talked about previous document in this space. This
		should not make IKEv1 implementations non-conformant.
Brian said
		he wasn't sure how he wanted it to apply to v1 or v2
	Michael Richardson - thinks it should apply to IKEv1 and IKEv2

Digital signatures for ESP and AH - Brian Weis
	Main need for this is source origin authentication
	This is needed for multicast or anycast
	ESP and AH don't specify any particular authentication mechanism,
		they just say where to do it.
	Digital signatures are very well understood
	RSA is widely implemented and is free
		Also fast for verification, which is good in multicast because
		the receivers do less work
	Still some issues
		Authentication data is larger
		Performance is big issue, but not so much if you have hardware
			acceleration
		DoS vulnerability: RSA verification is much slower than HMAC
	Bill Sommerfeld - Key size needs to be balanced against how long
		you are going to use the key
	Hilarie Orman - It's about time! The demultiplexing is done in a
		different place. And why not use elliptic curves?
	Andrea Colegrove - How do you tell IPsec who can send (and therefore
		sign) the messages?
	Is this of interest to the WG?

IPv6 and IPsec Deployment Issues - Tomoaki KOBAYAKAWA
	Deployment scenario, not a proposal for a solution
	Need a solution in order to help IPv6 get deployed
	IPv6 deployment status
		Definitely been deployed, especially in Japan
		Lots of home appliances using it
		But many IPv4 users think that IPv4 is enough
		If IPv6 is cheaper than IPv4, it will cause greater IPv6
			deployment
	IPv6 plug-and-play can be help
	Authentication can come from the ISP instead of from the
		end user, making devices and games easier to start
		from scratch
	IPv6 autoconf can also help with sensors and devices that
		need strong authentication
	If we make IPv6 always use IPsec, it will appear to be
		more secure
	Security policy should be maintained by an external trusted third
		party
	PKI avoidance is good
	Need plug-and-play IPsec for IPv6 for peer-to-peer, so please
		think about proposals
	Hugh Daniel - Won't buy a device that he cannot set the keys in
	Scott Fanning - How do you get a credential for a device from the
		factory?
	Steve Bellovin - Doubts about plug-and-play because the lack of
		authorization. How would an ISP know who is the end user for
		connecting particular devices?
	Charlie Kaufman - Protect against passive eavesdropping but others
		in the crypto field don't want this
	Gregory Lebovitz - Consumer devices already have less security and
		people buy it all the time
	Eric Nielsen - VoIP has similar problems of weighing the plug-and-play
		vs. flexibility
	Atsushi Inoue - What is the next step for this proposal? Will you
		make a key management protocol that matches this? Kobayakawa
		wants to do this.

Counter Mode Security Analysis and Recommendations - Dave McGrew
	Wants to raise issues for discussion
	CM can be implemented securely
		Properties are different but not worse
	CM is more vulnerable to some precomputation attacks
		Lacks per-packet random input that CBC has
	Attacker precomputes and stores a database
		Amortizes the computation across many breaks lowering the
			expected work per break
	Protections against this attack
		It has to be unpredictable to the adversary
		To do this, use a larger key
			Use AES-192 to get 128-bit strength
			This requires more computation and mandates using
				multiple key sizes
		Instead, use a random or uniform field in the initial counter
			Shrink the SPI field
			Won't allow protection of jumbograms
	Comparison
		Table showed comparison of equivalent strengths
		Asked for limits of memory, some disagreement was heard
		Requires a very, very rich advisory
	Questions
		Is 85 or fewer bits of security acceptable?
		Is inability to encrypt jumbograms OK?
		Is it OK to require AES-192 acceptable?
		Is an explicit IV needed?
	For 10 Gbs message authentication, CM is the only non-encumbered
		system known
	Uri Blumenthal - Not related to the A5 attack. Wants more time to
		review the numbers to see if this is really an 85-bit attack.
	Russ Housley - Appreciates bringing the issue to the wider group.
		Ron Rivest said just the longer key.
	Ted Ts'o - Wants people who know crypto to help analyze whether it
		is really a practical attack.

IKEv2 status discussion - Charlie Kaufman
	New draft in October
	Changed many things that became controversial:
		Suites replaced ala carte
		Went to always 4 messages
		Simplified traffic selector (no one has complained)
	Other controversies
		NAT traversal
		Tunnel vs. transport negotiation
		Key sizes and algorithms
		Legacy auth not covered
		Revised identity proposal
	NAT Traversal
		Not in IKEv1, but now there is a draft
		Should the new extensions be included in IKEv2?
	Tunnel vs. transport
		No negotiation in IKEv2
		Charlie needs to understand why this is needed
		If inner and outer IP addresses are the same,
			MAY use transport
	MUST key size and algorithms
		1024 vs. 1023 bit keys
		It's hard to have this debate until we know suites
vs. ala carte
	Number of messages
		4 messages except a few cases
		Always-4 is more complicated to be stateless
		Messages are larger, which causes UDP fragmentation issues
		May impact legacy authentication
			CRACK-style does better with 4/6 than with always-4
	Legacy authentication
		Road warrior configurations
			Passwords, SecureID, challenge-response cards, etc.
			All have subtle differences
		History includes, XAUTH, CRACK, PIC
		Use legacy auth to get a cert
			Recursion problem
			Need a PKI
		What to do
			Ignore it -- not
			Don't hold up IKEv2: do it later
			Use password as a shared key
				Has dictionary attack
			Design it in
				Reference an existing multiplexer
like SASL/EAP or GSSAPI
				Modify one of the IKEv1 solutions
				Start over
	Suites vs. ala carte
		IKEv1: propose a subset and responder selects
		Old IKEv2: same things but with a better encoding
		JFK: responder decrees
		Current IKEv2: defines suites, responder selects
		Why people like suites
			Easier to implement if the number is manageable
		Why people like ala carte
			Easier to implement if the number is large
			Easier to add new parts
			Leave it as suites
			Change it back to ala carte
			Cleverly-chosen multi-byte suite IDs
			Do both: MUST do suites but can do ala carte
				Only good idea if believe many
implementations don't
					do ala carte
	Revised identity
		Several proposals wrapped together
			CERTREQ renamed TrustedRoot
				Used to listing trust anchors
				Instead of DN of trust anchor, use
SHA1 of public key
				Charlie wants to copy TLS
			Allow URLs to certificates instead of the
certs themselves
				Some certs are very large
				The other end might know it
				But can't always use the URL
				What are the MUST/MAY/SHOULDs to
guarantee interop
			Negotiate authentication algorithms
				New IDAccepted field
				Needed if there are multiple ways
that you are capable
					of authenticating and want to
autoselect
			Merge ID and CERT into FullID
				Today IDs is required but CERT is optional
				Unstated what the relation between ID
and cert are
				Whatever is in the cert is the ID:
need to translate
					for your SADB
	OK, how do we become an RFC?
		Choose between multiple bales of hay (bad joke elided)
		Integrate NAT traversal now or later?
		Integrate legacy auth now or later?
		Charlie's preference
			Add some crypto tweaks from Hugo
			Decide now on the choices
			Work on other things in parallel that can be
folded into
				this document if it doesn't hold up
the document
		Ted Ts'o - If it is NAT-traversal friendly, we can do that
			in another document that describes how. If
you leave holes
			in the spec, it has to be filled fast,
otherwise a vendor
			will do it for us and we won't be able to fix it.
		Tero Kivinen - It isn't NAT-traversal friendly now but it can
			be made so easily.
		David Black - People designing suites have forgotten
some things,
			so we need either ala carte or have a
well-defined extension
			mechanism.
		Phil Hallam-Baker- Must work with NATs or don't bother. We
			should think about keys, not certs. Get rid
of policy from
			key negotiation.
		Hilarie Orman - AA Milne was quoted. Suggested negotiating key
			policy in protocol from the IP Security Policy WG.
		Eric Rescorla - TLS doesn't negotiate trust anchors
at all; this
			is not a raging success. Maybe assume that
you only have one
			certificate.
		Cheryl Madsen - If we split off items from a single
document, we
			lose momentum and it can take years.
		William Dixon - Noticed that requirements draft died.
No one was
			giving any feedback so there was no interest
in a requirements
			document. The requirements are inherent in
the protocol design
			and on the mailing list, but he wanted to be
sure that the
			WG wanted this.
		Jeff Schiller wearing his AD hat - Rest of the IETF wants to
			consume this technology soon. It's time. If
this effort is
			to succeed, it must terminate. If this
doesn't finish soon,
			we will terminate the WG and everyone has to use IKEv1.
			Wants a timeline that finishes by Feb. 15, 2003.
		Ted Ts'o - We negotiated that date.
		Cheryl Madsen - The scope of IKEv2 is VPNs and remote access.
		William Dixon - What are doing that is different than IKEv1?
		Paul Hoffman - We need remote access or else it looks
like IKEv1.
		Jeff Schiller - Can the WG decided between always-4 or 4/6 in
			the next 15 minutes?
		Paul Hoffman - 4/6 is much better for CRACK-like.
		Michael Richardson - Doesn't care about always-4 or 4/6.
			We should embed remote access, just take it from IPSRA.
			If we got good cert stuff, we don't need
legacy auth, but if
			we are going to do it, do it now.
		Bill Sommerfeld - Good if we can do always-4 if we don't do
			legacy auth. This might push against legacy auth.
		Tero Kivinen - NAT traversal is more complicated if we do
			always-4, but simple to add in 4/6. We need to do port
			floating.
		Eric Rescorla - Because 4/6 takes less thinking, we should use
			it.
		Ted Ts'o took a straw poll. Humming happened. The
consensus was 4/6.
		Barbara Fraser wanted to have a meeting about legacy
authentication
			this week.
		Gregory Lebovitz - Are we also including remote configuration?
		Jeff Schiller - Can you decided suites vs. ala carte
in 4 minutes?
		David Black and Cheryl Madsen - There is also a way to do a
			hybrid mechanism.
		William Dixon - Needs to be able to swap in a
different algorithm.
		Magnus Nystrom - Prefers suites because of interaction between
			algorithms.
		Jeff Schiller - Just decide between suites or ala carte for
			crypto only; other items will be decided later.
		Ted Ts'o took a straw poll on crypto suite or suites.
			Humming happened, but it sounded close. Hands
were raised.
			The chairs saw three times as many for suites
than for ala carte.
		Jeff Schiller asked who cared a great deal about the way that
			they voted. Only a few hands went up.

Meeting was adjourned only a few minute over time. Many folks said they
would work on the remote access problem, the suites extension issue,
NAT traversal, and other problems.

Minutes taker: Paul Hoffman, VPN Consortium
	Apologies in advance for spelling errors, particularly in
	people's names.