Re: Counter Mode: Proposed Way Forward

>>>>> "Russ" == Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com> writes:

 Russ> Paul: We could do that, but I am hoping that people will be
 Russ> interested in CCM once the new ESP gets rolling.  CCM uses the
 Russ> flags field, but it cannot be zero.  This would make it very
 Russ> easy for an implementation to support CCM and this counter mode
 Russ> specification too.

It's hard to comment specifically since I don't know what CCM is or
where to get a spec for it.

Would CCM be a different transform?  I assume yes.  If so, then it has
its own encoding rules.  There's no reason for transform X to
incorporate a field that's only used in transform Y (X != Y).

    paul