RE: IKEv2 transport concerns

>     >> Are you telling me that, if a gateway system is aware of QoS that
was
>     >> requested by an end system, that it can never inform the other
gateway of
>     >> this fact?
>
>     Black> No - it's welcome to inform the other gateway, just not via
IKEv2.

>     >> Clearly, a gateway system that knows of a QoS requested by an end
system
>     >> (whether via RSVP or other) could easily present appropriate
signaling for
>     >> the resulting tunnel.
>
>     Black> Yes, via an appropriate QoS signaling protocol, which is *not*
IKEv2, IMHO.

>   okay.
>   Are signaling protocols supposed to be forwarded through the tunnel?

Depends on the protocol.  RSVP certainly could be forwarded in principle
(need an SPD that understands protocol 46, or an encapsulation of some
form), although this may raise orthogonal issues about whether the tunnel
presents routable interfaces if the RSVP path extends beyond the tunnel
endpoints.  OTOH, there's been discussion of out-of-band protocols for
bandwidth brokers and the like that probably wouldn't go through the tunnel.

>   Are there signaling protocols which an end systems can use to control
QoS
> *towards* them? If so, how does the end system have the return stream of
the
> tunnel properly signaled?

An instance of RSVP running the other way is one possibility, although
it requires serious cooperation from the other end of the tunnel.  L2TP's
diffserv extension (RFC 3308) may be useful when L2TP is in the stack.

>   Other than RSVP, what else is there at present? (I'm
> certainly out of touch).

Not much.  In addition to RFC 3308, the nsis WG may produce something,
and there's been all sorts of other possibilities discussed, but no
RFCs that I can point to.

Thanks,
--David
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
+1 (508) 293-7953 **NEW**     FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
black_david@emc.com        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754