Re: IKEv2 use of HMAC-SHA-1 for Key Derivation

> >      T1 = HMAC-SHA1(0x00 | K, S)
> >      T2 = HMAC-SHA1(0x01 | K, T1 | S)
> >      T3 = HMAC-SHA1(0x02 | K, T2 | S |
> >      T4 = HMAC-SHA1(0x03 | K, T3 | S )
>
>This doesn't help at all. You can still find K in 2^160 operations
>(note that a guess can always be validated via the derived keys which
>produce visible outputs in the protocol).

This may be a tangent, but I just don't see how the above claim could be
correct.

>There is no silliness here.
>And, as I said,  for those that want >160 bits there are longer key hash
>functions to use

The issue is that the new hash functions (such as SHA-2) are slow, and no
one wants to implement them solely for the purpose of key derivation (since
no one is asking for a stronger per-packet hash).

Andrew
The odd thing about fairness is when
we strive so hard to be equitable
that we forget to be correct.