Re: question on IKE between HA & FA in 3GPP standard...

At 10:29 AM -0500 12/5/02, Suresh Iyer wrote:
>Hi,
>	I am trying to identify the requirements for IKE between Foreign
>Agent & Home Agent.
>In the Annex A to the 3GPP2 Wireless IP network standard, 3GPP2 P.S0001-B,
>it is specified that
>aggressive mode be used with preshared keys and main mode be used with
>Certificate authentication.
>
>It also specifies that "Signature payload" will not be sent by PDSN (FA) and
>HA.
>
>Does this mean that the certificate authentication is to be done with
>"public key encryption" and not "signatures"?

I'm not familiar with the 3GPP2 spec you cite above, bit in general I
advise against using the encryption (vs. signature) option in IKE v1.
Note that in IKE v2 we have cleanly separated the key generation and
authentication features of the protocol, using public keys from certs
only for signatures. I also think that in practice IKE v1
implementation usually opt for the signature (vs. encryption)
approach to authentication when public keys are employed.

Steve