RE: question on IKE between HA & FA in 3GPP standard...

If indeed this is what the document says, "Certificate authentication
without Signature Payload", this points to Authentication with
a Revised Mode of Public Key Encryption where Certificate payload
may be used.

You may want to check with the authors of that document to find
the rationale behind it.

Atul