Re: Handling of IPcomp in IKEv2

Radia,

The existing RFCs already specify a range of well-known compression
algorithms. (See the attached summary.)

Even with that option available, the vast majority of IPComp
implementations use the negotiated CPI (range 256-61439)  rather than the
well-known numbers. At least that was the status when the implementation
report,

  http://www.iesg.org/IESG/Implementations/IPCOMP-Implementation.txt ,

was written.

Regards,
avram

RFC-3173  IP Payload Compression Protocol

3.3.  IPComp Header Structure
[...]
   Compression Parameter Index (CPI)

      16-bit index.  The CPI is stored in network order.  The values
      0-63 designate well-known compression algorithms, which require no
      additional information, and are used for manual setup.  The values
      themselves are identical to IPCOMP Transform identifiers as
      defined in [SECDOI].  Consult [SECDOI] for an initial set of
      defined values  [..]  Note: When
      negotiating one of the well-known algorithms, the nodes MAY select
      a CPI in the pre-defined range 0-63.

RFC-2407  The Internet IP Security Domain of Interpretation for ISAKMP

4.4.5 IPSEC IPCOMP Transform Identifiers

   The IP Compression (IPCOMP) transforms define optional compression
   algorithms that can be negotiated to provide for IP payload
   compression ([IPCOMP]).  The following table lists the defined IPCOMP
   Transform Identifiers for the ISAKMP Proposal Payload within the
   IPSEC DOI.

       Transform ID                        Value
       RESERVED                            0
       IPCOMP_OUI                          1
       IPCOMP_DEFLATE                      2
       IPCOMP_LZS                          3