Re: Handling of IPcomp in IKEv2

Paul,

Risking repeating an earlier reply to Radia, the (once again) attached
implementation note from RFC-3173 details scenarios where negotiated CPIs
are required. (In short, when compression sessions maintain attributes
specific to each session.) Moreover, the alternative to use a well-known
CPI is available in the current protocol, yet most implementations are
negotiating CPIs from 256-61439 range.

As for the negotiation of IPComp within a protection suite or orthogonal
to ESP/AH protocol, as Charlie suggests, both methods look okay.

Regards,
avram

      IPCAs become non-unique when two or more IPComp sessions are
      established between two nodes, and the same well-known CPI is used
      in at least two of the sessions.  Non-unique IPCAs pose problems
      in maintaining attributes specific to each IPCA, either negotiated
      (e.g., lifetime) or internal (e.g., the counters of the adaptive
      algorithm for handling previously compressed payload).  To ensure
      the uniqueness of IPCAs between two nodes, when two or more of the
      IPCAs use the same compression algorithm, the CPIs SHOULD be in
      the negotiated range.  However, when the IPCAs are not required to
      be unique, for example when no attribute is being utilized for
      these IPCAs, a well-known CPI MAY be used.