Re: Handling of IPcomp in IKEv2

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Avram Shacham wrote:
> > local object to hold state for compression -- the compression proper is
> > usually stateless, but choice of algorithm, intelligent decision on
> > whether to attempt compression, etc. require local state...
>
> The only comment: Compression algorithms in IPComp MUST be stateless.

I would phrase that slightly differently:  *decompression* algorithms in
IPComp MUST be stateless.

It is not unthinkable to have a compression algorithm which maintains
state to decide how to *best* compress the next packet -- a generalization
of the use of heuristics to decide whether to attempt compression --
provided that the corresponding decompression algorithm can always
decompress any packet.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net