Re: speaking of keys

Russ,

I am fine with 1024-bit DH group as must-to-implement today.
(At least for those that  assume that no attacker is interested to record
their traffic today and be able to decrypt it in a few years,
in which case a longer modulus may be recommended.)
Yet your analogy to signature-key size does not hold.
Breaking your signatures in two years from now is meaningless if you
revoked your key/certificates in the meantime.
In the case of DH, however, the secrecy of the key (if used to derive
data encryption keys) may need to be protected long after the DH key is
expired and removed from memory.
Therefore the security requirements on DH (especially standarized
groups) are more stringent, in general, than on signatures.

Hugo