Re: (more#4 fwd from ipsec) Re: Handling of IPcomp in IKEv2

Paul,

IKE provides a way to establish IPComp sessions with the following:

a. The actual usage of the protocol.
b. Transform Identifier (aka compression algorithm, such as
DEFLATE, LZS, ...) -- one per direction.
c. A 16-bit CPI.
d. Algorithm-related attributes.

Such negotiations are pretty straight forward, and several dozens of
interoperable implementations exist in the market place. (Which implies
extensive discussions in the ippcp and ipsec wgs/lists and bakeoffs.)

What of the above IKEv1 capabilities, if any, Charlie's suggestion plans
to omit? If so, what are the savings -- i.e. in actual bytes in IKEv2
packet? In other words, what is the cost, if any, to keep the current
functionality available in IKEv2?

(Note that nowhere I mentioned IPComp being negotiated as part of a
protocol-suite/menu/a-la carte.  Leaving that issue out was intentional.)

Regards,
avram