RE: speaking of keys

Whatever we put for MUST will be the default for the UIs. Over half
of the VPN boxes in our interop lab, all of which shipped this year,
default to DES and MD5, not because any of the manufacturers think
those are good ideas, but because those are the MUSTs in IKEv1.

If we pick too big of a single MUST, we will make IKEv2 look slow.

It sounds like most people who want a large value for MUST mean that
they want to guarantee that large values can be used interoperably by
people who can afford the CPU and/or accelerator time. To do that, we
could say "MUST support key sizes of 1024, 1536, and 2048." That gets
us the guarantee of interop, and forces the manufacturers to actually
think about what they want their default values to be.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium