RE: Proposed Configuration payload for IKEv2

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Paul Hoffman / VPNC wrote:

> At 4:58 AM +0200 12/20/02, Hugo Krawczyk wrote:
> >You have to be very careful when you change the cryptographic logic in
> >IKEv2. Is the protocol you are proposing still secure?
>
> Somehow, we thought that *you* might answer that question. :-)

I thought that the burden of proof should be on the proponent...

In any case I was not referring to the man-in-the-middle attacks
that we are discussing in a parallel threat and which are based on the bad
practice of using same credentials in protected and unprotected runs.

Here I am talking about weaknesses in the cryptographic logic of the
SLA protocol. But since there is enough traffic regarding the other MitM
attacks (and it is late) I prefer to postpone this issue for next week.

The bottom line is that the cryptography of SLA is open to attacks
against the "consistency" (or "mutual belief") requirement for
authenticated key exchanges (see, for example, my SIGMA paper).
Yet, since SLA is specifically intended for use in the client-server
model of legacy authentication the practical significance of the
*specific* attacks that I can see is questionable.
Still I believe that these weaknesses will have to be repaired (at least
to avoid the publication of crypto papers that break the protocol :).
I will write more about this next week.

Hugo