Re: Summary of revised identity changes

    Stephen> could you elaborate a bit. I can see some circumstances where
    Stephen> this would be true, but I'm not sure how common the problem
    Stephen> would be. for exmaple, a cert with my e-mail address is a

  Let me put it this way - I have yet to see a two node VPN that was built
with commercial VPN products actually use RSA authentication - the X.509 hill
is just too steep. This is *WITHOUT* any restrictions on certificate contents.
I've seen a lot of installations.

  At the same time, the *ONLY* reason that the X.509 patches exist for
FreeS/WAN is pretty much to talk to Win32 implementations that can
barely handle self-signed certificates. They *CERTAINLY* aren't getting the
contents of the certificate request correct very often either.

    Stephen> perfectly fine user ID cert for IPsec, as well as for s/mime,
    Stephen> and it might be OK for authenticating me in an SSL/TLS context
    Stephen> as well.

  Can you tell me how I initiate to another system based upon an e-mail
address? Remember, since we eliminated the mapping, you can't insert anything
that says:
     CN=kent@bbn.com	192.160.6.91

  so, how do you set up *two* systems that can talk to each other?
Where are they? No, there is no configuration file, this proposal eliminates
the need for it.... it might be wrong.

    >> While that may be the desired effect for people with real PKI
    >> infrastructure and real PKI clue, for the people who just want to
    >> connect two LANs with a VPN, a self-signed certificate generated by
    >> openssl is *just fine*.
    >>
    >> If they have to get right goop in place to use certificates, even more
    >> people will want to continue using pre-shared keys.
    >>
    >> Now, if you, instead, are willing to say:
    >>
    >> All implementations MUST support RAW RSA key formats, providing a way
    >> to load/save them interactively (i.e. in a UI or CLI) in RFC3110
    >> format.
    >>
    >> Then, you can do whatever you want with certificates. But, up to this
    >> point, even doing self-signed X.509 (I wish they'd say "RFC2459"
    >> certificates) is hard for many products, and people therefore resort
    >> to pre-shared keys.
    >>
    Stephen> I too don't want to promote use of pre-shared keys. But, if I
    Stephen> have a RAW RSA format, what is the mechanism by which this
    Stephen> identifies me? It is not one of the ID types supported by the

  It identifies you because I said it did. Stop thinking about million node
VPNs for a minute.

  Think about Bob's dinner's two franchises. He buys two D-Link IPsec/DSL
boxes. These are like ~$200 each. He hires some kid to hook them up into a
VPN. He plugs his Cisco IP phones in, and his cash registers in.

    Stephen> SPD. If you're saying that we need another mapping table from
    Stephen> key to ID, then I have the same concerns re getting this mapping
    Stephen> wrong.

  Let's go back here a moment.

  If you make it hard, then people will use PSK. As such, you lose.
  If you want to kill public key use of IPsec with PKI, this proposal is a
way to do it. Go see EAP thread, cause we will need it.