Ciphersuites MUSTs and SHOULDs

Wearing his WG chair hat, Ted said:

>I have adjusted the MUST/SHOULD from Paul's message since I believe that
>for implementations that will be moving to implement IKEv2, it is
>reasonable to require the implementation of AES, as it as so many
>advantages over 3DES.

The current proposal contains not only a list of MUSTs and SHOULDs,
it has language that is supposed to go into the document about them.
The counter-proposal doesn't change the support language. The
counter-proposal offers no security or interoperability rationale.
For example, the counter-proposal mandates both 3DES and AES. How
does that help interoperability or security?

Ted's proposal (which is certainly not based on any consensus from
the mailing list) essentially prevents any currently-deployed IPsec
system that has 3DES-acceleration from running IKEv2 sensibly. The
vendor would have to offer AES in software next to 3DES in hardware,
and hopefully explain to the user what the difference is.

Is this what the WG wants? Or would the WG prefer a set of MUSTs and
SHOULDs that allow vendors to update currently-deployed systems with
IKEv2?

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium