Re: Modefg considered harmful

Cheryl Madson <cmadson@cisco.com> writes:

> I've always contended that for IKEv1 that *both* modecfg and DHCP
> had the same underlying issue -- an introduction of a "special" state
> into the protocol processing (either somewhat explicitly via "phase 1.5"
> or implicitly via the "special phase 2 which if it happens has to happen
> before any other phase 2").

I agree with this.  One of the most annoying parts of implementing
modecfg and XAUTH when I did it was that it adds a large number of
states to IKE negotiation, and the behaviour in each state is not
always obvious.  The modecfg draft I saw, for instance, wasn't clear
on whether the initiator should expect the responder to give it an
address without asking; or whether it had to ask; or whether it could
just tell the responder that it was taking a known-good address.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>