RE: new to VPN

At 10:35 AM -0800 2/3/03, John Lindal wrote:
>  > There's a very large difference between a general purpose OS like
>>  Windows or Unix, and an embedded system OS.  Large, as in several
>>  orders of magnitude.
>
>Unless I'm missing something fundamental, comparing the raw sizes of
>various operating systems is misleading.  Assuming that the VPN software is
>installed at the bottom of the network stack, just above the NIC driver,
>then it doesn't matter how big the rest of the OS is.  The only thing that
>matters is the tiny little bit of the OS that takes the packet off the NIC
>and hands it to the VPN driver.
>
>Of course, this small part of the OS must not have any holes, the VPN
>software must not have any holes, and the security policies must be set
>correctly to weed out malicious or unwanted packets!

I'm afraid you are missing something. Irrespectivbe of where the VPN
software is installed in a general purpose platform/OS environment,
that software can be subverted by a successful attack against any
part of the rest of the OS. Your comment suggests that if the VPN
access controls are working, then no evil packets can evade detection
and thus be used to attack the higher layer software. We have lots of
experience that indiactes otherwise.

>-----
>
>Somebody also brought up the issue of key security in hardware vs software
>implementations.  Given the above scenario of a correctly implemented VPN
>driver as close to the NIC as possible, one can only steal keys if one has
>physical access to the device.  When this happens, it seems to me that
>neither hardware not software will deter a determined attacker, though it
>is harder to break into a device that doesn't have a keyboard :)

One can steal keys that are protected by software if an attacker
gains control of the device via any means, period. This includes any
form of remote attack, not just local, physical attacks. In contrast,
a FIPS level 3/4 device is tested to be immune to extraction of
plaintext keys, even in the face of most physical attacks.

>Of course, if one uses certificates and a centralized management system,
>then it is trivial to revoke a certificate if a computer is stolen or
>otherwise compromised.  Just don't try this trick with pre-shared text keys :)

If one knows the keys have been compromised revocation is a solution.
For pre-shared keys, in a client-sever context (which seems to be the
primary context you and your colleague are addressing), revocation is
also easy re a client compromise, since only the enterprise (server)
needs to know of the revocation.  Again, a level 3 device provides
evidence of tampering to extract keys (level 4 should prevent such
extraction) which then provides a trigger to revoke certs.

>Add in user level authentication for road warriors, and it becomes highly
>unlikely that anybody will be able to break into the rest of the network
>before the certificate is revoked (assuming that employees conscientiously
>report stolen laptops, of course!).

This last comment is based on the assumption that only a detected,
physical attack could extract keys. This is not true in general, and
in the case of a laptop, copying of the contents of the (presumably
encrypted) keys from the hard drive could be effected without theft
of the laptop, and without leaving evidence of the extraction. Then
one can proceed to offline recovery of the keys, which have probably
been encrypted via a password. I agree that this specific scenario is
not the most common one to worry about, unless road warriors are
working in contexts where this sort of black bag job is a concern.
Nonetheless, I think the example illustrates why reliance on
revocation is less attractive than reliance on hardware to protect
keys in the first place.

Steve